Did you know that May is National Strawberry month? What a perfect excuse to load up on fresh berries! With only a few days left in May, show strawberries some love with this simple and delicious parfait from Amber, a 2011 Integrative Nutrition graduate.
The recipe calls for coconut yogurt (a dairy-free substitute for regular yogurt) and gluten-free granola! Berries are packed with antioxidants, so layer away, and feel free to enjoy your favorite nuts and seeds in your own parfait creation. Enjoy as a tasty snack or for a healthy breakfast to start your day!
Strawberry Coconut Yogurt Parfait
- 1 1/2 cups of fresh strawberries, diced
- 4 oz. plain coconut yogurt
- 1 drip of vanilla
- 1 packet of Truvia
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 3 tbsp flax seeds (whole seeds, not ground)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (can also use raisins)
- 1/4 cup mix of pepitas, chopped pecans and chopped walnuts (I used a trail mix to make it easier)
- Dice the strawberries into little bite-sized pieces
- Mix the coconut yogurt with the drip of vanilla and the Truvia. Mix really well until the yogurt is smooth.
- In a small bowl combine the flax seeds, pepitas, pecans, walnuts, cranberries and honey and mix until everything is coated with the honey
- Spread the mixture out onto a baking sheet or stoneware pan and bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until it’s browned.
- Remove from the oven and spread around on the tray so it can dry for about 10 minutes.
- Layer up your parfait! Start with a layer of strawberries, then yogurt, and then granola. Repeat as many times as you want. This one had three layers.